What you can do if you discover that you have Bed Bugs
- Inspect all areas of your bed very carefully and thoroughly.
• If you find the infestation early, most will be at the head, mattress, and base of the bed.
• With a bright light (and a magnifying glass if you have one) it is easier to see bed bugs.
• Use the light on the surface you are inspecting to find and see the bed bugs and eggs.
• Begin with the inspection of the head of the bed, then the rest of the frame of the bed. Search all cracks and crevices.
• Continue with the mattress and mattress base.
o Concentrate on the seams and folds in the fabric.
o Turn the base of the bed and remove the thin fabric cover on the bottom so you can inspect the interior.
►If you find bed bugs, it is advisable to enclose mattresses and bases with a cover specially designed to protect them, they are of high quality with special closures. These are categorized as “hypoalergenic” or “dust-proof or bedbug-proof”.
►Use mattress covers made of fabric. Plastic covers can break and moisten the sheets at night. A trusted brand is “Protect-A-Bed”. The covers for the bases serve for the mattress and for the base, and are often cheaper.
►If you can only buy a case, use it on the bed bases.
- If you find bed bugs or eggs, you can eliminate them in several ways:
• Vacuum insects with a vacuum cleaner. When you have finished your inspection, throw the vacuum bag or the contents of the collection cup into a plastic bag and close it with a knot. It is difficult to suck the eggs because they are involved in a kind of sticking. You can detach them with the vacuum hose or with thick adhesive tape.
• Clean the bugs and eggs using a dishwashing solution and water. Spray the bugs you see with the soap solution to slow down. Lift them up and place them in a bowl of soapy water where they will drown. Scrape and remove the eggs and put them in the water container. When you have finished pouring the soapy water down the toilet and down into the water.
• Use the hot air from a hair dryer on a “low” level to force bedbugs out of cracks and crevices. If live bugs come out, spray them with the soapy water and put them in the container.
- Wash all your bedding in hot water. Dry it in “high” for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Be sure to transport clothes to the laundry in a closed plastic bag so as not to disperse bed bugs. Tie a knot to the bag and throw it away, have a new bag ready to put your clothes after drying. You can disinfect other things in the same way. If you can not wash, put the clothes in the dryer in “high” for a minimum of 30 minutes. If the clothes are clean you can put them only in the dryer.
- Make your bed an island (for a bed with legs).
• Move your bed away from the wall and make sure that no part of your bed touches the wall or floor.
• Place each leg of the bed inside a bed bug trap or “bed bugs trap”.
- Inspect your bed frequently.
You can inspect other furniture in the same way.
- Use putty to seal the cracks and openings of the baseboards, the frame, the headboard and other furniture.
- Eliminate clutter in your house.
This provides more places where bed bugs can hide. Things that can not be thrown away should be stored in plastic boxes.
DO NOT ENTER IN PANIC!
It has not been discovered that Bed Bugs transmit diseases.
DO NOT TRY TO USE PESTICIDES YOURSELF!
This is dangerous and can make the problem worse by causing bed bugs to spread and move to other rooms or apartments. It is recommended to call a pest control professional to provide a treatment for bed bugs.
ALERT YOUR OWNER.
Bed bugs are a problem that requires cooperation between owners and tenants. It is very difficult to eliminate bed bugs and almost always requires the help of professionals who specialize in Bed Bugs.
Call us immediately
Miami Dade: 305 306 1794
Broward: 954 414 9656
Palm Beach: 561 370 7886
West Area: 305 924 25 64